Thursday, March 24, 2005

In Memory of Air Rescue Crew "Komodo 11"



On March 23rd, 2003 a pair of HH-60's scrambled from Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan. The mission was an urgent medevac needed to save the lives of two injured Afghani children.One of the helicopters crashed and all of it's crew was killed. The downed chopper was using the call sign "Komodo 11."
Bob Holler sent the following email after the crash of Komodo 11. "The word is already out. It's in the news. A helicopter crashed in Afghanistan while trying to prosecute a mission. It was a rescue helicopter and two of the deceased are from my unit. Although I can't tell details or names, I can tell you they will be missed. Let's not forget the "other" war that's still going on in Afghanistan. A poem I wrote in the last couple of hours..."

I sit here and type this with tears in my eyes,
the world is not right now, I just lost two guys.
Flying to rescue someone they'd save,
their helo just crashed, an H-60 PAVE.
The helo they flew in crashed to the ground,
leaving only "survivors", their loved ones, around.
One was experienced, the other still new,
they died in the service of both me and you.
They both knew the risks, we accept them like faith,
but once in awhile, death rears like a wraith.
Of one thing I'm certain, they died not in vain,
if it were two others, they'd both fly again.
And fly again, the rest of us will,
if for no other reason then to keep our minds still.
To get back on that horse and ride it away,
to reinforce why we wear the maroon beret.
We lost two brothers and though we are sad,
we'll celebrate their lives, the lives they had.
Lives by the motto, lives we will give,
These Things We Do, That Others May Live.
HOO YAH!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! What an interesting blog you have! I work at the VA hospital and I also have a great appreciation for what people do in order to make our lives better!

5:57 PM  
Blogger cyouincourt007 said...

Thank You for the kind words and for the work you do.I've had family members @ the VA hospital and met some really great folks who took great care of my peeps.Thanks again

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
Blogarama - The Blog Directory

< A Legally Inclined Weblog >
Blogcritics.org

MOJO Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next