Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Durbin apologizes for Gitmo remarks

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Senate's No. 2 Democrat apologized Thursday for remarks comparing the treatment of detainees at the Guantanamo Bay prison camp to methods used by the Nazis, Soviets and other repressive regimes.
Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois said he "never intended any disrespect" to U.S. troops with his June 14 comments, for which the minority whip has endured a week of criticism from Republicans and some Democrats.
"In the end, I don't want anything in my public career to detract from my love for this country, my respect for those who serve it, and this great Senate," Durbin said in an emotional statement on the Senate floor.
"I offer my apologies to those that were offended by my words."...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
Blogarama - The Blog Directory

< A Legally Inclined Weblog >
Blogcritics.org

MOJO Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next